[cross-posting to pymaemo-developers and maemo-developers]

The PySide team is happy to announce the second beta release of
PySide: Python for Qt. PySide provides a complete set of LGPL-licensed
Qt bindings for Python, including full QML and QtMobility support. Any
software written for N900 using PySide will work as-is on the upcoming
Harmattan and MeeGo platforms.

The binary packages for PySide 1.0.0~beta2 are already available in
the maemo.org extras-devel repository. To use them, install the
python-pyside metapackage which depends on every individual module
package. Respectively, PySide Mobility may be installed using the
python-qtmobility metapackage.

The source code packages can be acquired by referring to our download
wiki page [1] or by pulling the relevant tagged versions from our git
repositories [2].

Major changes since 1.0.0~beta1
===============================

PySide now supports exposing list-like properties to QML using
QDeclarativeListProperty. Documentation is still rather sparse, but
refer to the example to see a how it works [5].

Other than the QML work, we have been working on fixing outstanding
bugs. Since beta1, a total of 16 high-priority bugs have been fixed.
See the list of fixed bugs at the end of this message.

Path towards 1.0 release
========================

There are still plenty of outstanding bugs in our Bugzilla [3]. To
improve our quality in a controlled fashion, we plan to do probably a
couple more beta releases after the current one.

About PySide
============

PySide is the Nokia-sponsored Python Qt bindings project, providing
access to not only the complete Qt 4.7 framework but also Qt Mobility,
as well as to generator tools for rapidly generating bindings for any
Qt-based libraries.

The PySide project is developed in the open, with all facilities you'd
expect from any modern OSS project such as all code in a git
repository [2], an open Bugzilla [3] for reporting bugs, and an open
design process [4]. We welcome any contribution without requring a
transfer of copyright.

List of bugs fixed
==================

383    qelapsedtimer_wrapper.cpp: No such file or directory
415    phonon bindings does not build
468    Segfaults, segfaults and more segfaults
489    PySide.QtGui.QImage with string buffer argument
491    pyside doesn't respect BUILD_TESTS
500    If an instance of QPrintDialog is created a deadlock happens on
    shutdown.
505    CppObject was destroyed before __del__ be called
508    qmltopy1 crashes when setContextProperty is called twice
    without keeping a reference
512    QGridLayout::getItemPosition() is not available
513    Hardcoded bool return type for operator overloads
517    Documentation for QtDeclarative is not linked in contents.html,
    modules.html
518    The file "genindex.html" is not found (linked from
    contents.html)
524    Debugging errors during work of createpackage.js on windows is
    hard
527    Two different PySide Wikis
542    New style signals/slots + curried functions: unexpected
    argument during call
543    Regression: Signals with default values broken