On Saturday, June 25, 2011, Jonathan Wilson <jfwf...@tpgi.com.au> wrote:

> Given this, I have come up with a possible solution and would like
> advice on the best way to package this solution.

> Option 1:
> Patch libsms (there are 3 bytes that need to be changed to fix the bug) and
> distribute the patched .so file. (i.e. basically an updated libsms package)

Not an option - the licence of libsms would make this copyright
infringement (if it is closed source).

> Option 2:
> Distribute a package that will patch (and un-patch on uninstall I would guess)
> libsms with the 3 changed bytes to fix the bug.

Easiest option, and therefore the most reliable. The only caveat is
whether or not libsms varies between OS versions. As long as the
package for the installer depends on the right version of libsms, and
maybe the patcher does a checksum before modifying the file, I think
that'd work.

It can even be tested in Extras-devel outside of the CSSU, but like
the "modify the Conversations app's CSS to support portrait", it
should be depended on my the mp-fremantle-community-pr as a quick way
of bundling together the separate "hotfixes".

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:and...@bleb.org  |  http://www.bleb.org/