Wlan is up in the boot through the service wlancond (at /init.d)
associated to runlevel 3. The graphical user interaction doesn't allow to
set up but configure the values of wlan. So you have to define these in
order to wlan starts at runlevel 3 with that configuration.

To do that you have to edit file /etc/network/interfaces with the values
of the wlan (iface, name, address, essid, etc.). Look at here:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html

A bit more complicate situation is if wlan is not always the same. In such
a situation you must write a script that allows to distinguish between the
different wlans (for instance, via comparison of known mac address and
sniffed mac addres).

Yes, you're right. Here is an example of this script which I found recently
at http://planet.igalia.com:

The /etc/network/interfaces could be like this one (being HomeNET and
WorkNET two existing ESSID network identifiers):

auto eth1
mapping eth1
script /root/WIFI/wldetect.sh
map HomeNET HomeNET
map WorkNET WorkNET

iface HomeNET inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
wireless-essid HomeNET
wireless-key s:mysecretpass1 open
dns-nameservers 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.1

iface WorkNET inet dhcp
wireless-essid WorkNET
wireless-key s:mysecretpass2 open
dns-nameservers 127.0.0.1 192.168.100.1

The script /root/WIFI/wldetect.sh lists the available networks and chooses
one of them being in a whitelist (HomeNET|WorkNET):

#!/bin/sh

# Config
WL_IFACE=`iwconfig 2>/dev/null | { read A _; echo $A; };`

# Reset the interface
ifconfig $WL_IFACE down
ifconfig $WL_IFACE 0.0.0.0
ifconfig $WL_IFACE up

# Search networks
NETWORKS=`iwlist $WL_IFACE scanning | grep ESSID | sed -e
's/.*"\(.*\)"/\1/'`

# Bring down the interface
ifconfig $WL_IFACE down

# Select preferred networks
for NET in $NETWORKS
do
case $NET in
HomeNEt|WorkNET)
echo $NET;
exit 0;
;;
esac
done
exit 1;

iƱ

*On Jue Dic 28 8:20 , 'Michael Stepanov' sent:

*