On Tue Jan 23 09:19:58 2007, Kalle Valo wrote:
"Dave Cridland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Mon Jan 15 09:09:37 2007, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> Netfilter is used to track idle connections and that's why iptables
>> is
>> installed.
>
> Hmmm... Catching up on my mail, I noticed this one...

Same here, way too much email :)

I've been good - only 412 unread out of 40,033 in my INBOX. (And yes, I can open that fine on my 770 over GPRS).

> So what does "idle" mean

So that no packets are sent or received on that interface. But IIRC,
we ignore DHCP packets but any other IP packet is tracked.

Okay, so it's tracking interface level activity?

> , and what does the 770 do when it sees an "idle" connection?
>
> Please tell me it doesn't kill the connection.

It closes the connection. But that's use configurable, it can be set
from the Connectivity Control Panel applet.

Shuts down the association or the physical interface? (And I know, I've suddenly switched to OSI-speak to avoid the word "connection" here)

And is this done merely if associations are idle, or only if there are no current associations?

It makes a huge difference to the viability of the 770 or N800 as a platform for mobile email, and I'd have thought it'd degrade the user experience for XMPP as well. Take a look at the highly readable http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-deployments-04.txt for some general guidance for the mobile email case.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] - xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - http://dave.cridland.net/