On 1/25/07, Andrew Flegg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 1/25/07, Igor Stoppa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Here we are really talking of being able to charge the battery outside
> its safety ranges.
>
> Given the right knowlege it is possible cause do phisical damage to the
> device and the user.

No, we're talking about finding out how much the battery is being
used. This is obviously of benefit to end users without accurate
multimeters.

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 13:08 +0100, ext Frantisek Dufka wrote:
> I meant way to get discharge current from battery circuit to know what
> is actual consumption of the device and how big is the influence of
> various parts.

End-users being able to know if something's (albeit not exactly what)
is driving the battery consumption through the roof would be of
immeasurable benefit, especially since the N800 is pushed as an always
on device.

 Something like a CPU meter but for wattage consumed at any given
point would be great.  Even just the raw battery voltage would be
nice, although having the estimate on battery life is at least an
improvement in IT2007.
 As an aside, you need a fairly sophisticated meter to measure the
current-- it's not like you can pick up a $30 meter and expect to get
good readings.  The 770 and n800 consume current in large bursts and
if the internal resistance of the meter is too high (i.e. when set to
read mA) the device won't run.  I had to use a 4-wire ratio-resistance
method with a "resistor" (piece of thin wire actually) around 50/1000
of a ohm, hooked to a desktop 6.5 digit DVM.

 If anyone has some tests for power consumption they needd I can run
them, within limits of course.

Larry