On Thursday 25 January 2007 07:39, Levi Bard wrote:
> > I have questions regarding that, I just did some file transfer and I
> > move a couple of files with no problem. When the 3rd came up it took a
> > while to transfer (the size was the same). Then I move some more, and
> > I unmount it. (using linux)
> >
> > The unmounting took considerable time, around 2 minutes. In the past,
> > unmounting it is almost automatically.
> >
> > On top of that I got 1 file corrupted (it wasn't the one that hanged
> > during transfer). Any idea what could be going on and what steps
> > should I take to keep my storage up to speed.
>
> This is because, on linux, it's copying the data asynchronously (in
> the background), so when you go to unmount the device, it blocks until
> all the actual file transfer is completed.  I noticed in the past that
> I would get file corruption problems when transferring large amounts
> of data to the device via usb; it seemed like the 770 was just getting
> overwhelmed with too much data at once.  Now I tend to use wifi/scp or
> an external card reader for getting data onto the card.

Levi,

   I'm with you.  Using scp works a lot better than the USB cable.  The real
fun comes if you use the 770/n800 as a middle man between your laptop/desktop
and phone.  Create your own ringtones and backgrounds and load them right up.
The heck with paying 1.99 for a 15 second capture, or someones bad anime
artwork. *grin*

  For even more "fun" use fuser (to the developers, thanks you got it working
faster than I could) then if you have openssh installed (windows, mac or
Unix, I've tested windows and linux) you can mount a drive/dir of your
desktop and use it as if it were a local drive.  Right at the moment I have a
770 that thinks it has 600GB of drive space, and I'm 40 miles away from the
parent box.

James