Hi,

ext Gary Mulder wrote:
> Here's the output from your script:
>
> ./numfiles.sh: ./numfiles.sh: 24: cannot create : Directory nonexistent
> ..
> ./numfiles.sh: ./numfiles.sh: 24: cannot create : Directory nonexistent
>      1 24
>      7 MP3
>   1325 _notype

This is interesting, there are over thousand files without any
filename extension (or I botched my script).  What files those
are?  :-)

Nokia-N800-51:/media/mmc2# find . -type f | wc -l
   418
Nokia-N800-51:/media/mmc2# find . -type d | wc -l
    42

Oh, so I botched my script...  But most of those files are mp3:
        find . -name '*.mp3'|wc -l
?

> I reconfirmed last night that Media Player is taking 5+ minutes to
> start up. The GUI kept on telling me it was not responding and did I
> want to kill it. I didn't, and eventually the Player behaved as
> expected.

This was with or without nicing the crawler (in its init script)?

This was prior to nicing the crawler.

Ok, nicing should fix that particular problem I think.
Could you verify that?

> 2. Powered on the unit, immediately run Media Player while the crawler
> was running. Unit reset.

Device rebooted?

Yes.

Could you check how much RAM crawler takes at most while it indexes
that card?  Just start Xterm, run "top" in it and then take the card
out and and put it back again and see what's the largest RSS value for
the crawler process (if you press 'M' in keyboard, top sorts by memory
usage)...

I assume it is fine to remove and insert the internal SD card while
the unit is on?

It's better to use external one for this kind of testing.

I did so, but didn't see the crawler kick in. I
therefore did a "/etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 restart", but this
didn't seem to do much either. In any event:

 PID USER     STATUS   RSS  PPID %CPU %MEM COMMAND
 2094 user     S N     2896   329  0.0  2.2 metalayer-crawl
 2096 user     R N     2896  2094  0.0  2.2 metalayer-crawl

Hmm, it looks like the SD card did not remount:

Nokia-N800-51:~# umount /media/mmc2
Nokia-N800-51:~# mount /media/mmc2
mount: Can't find /media/mmc2 in /etc/fstab
Nokia-N800-51:~# mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/mmc2
mount: Mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/mmc2 failed: No such file or directory
Nokia-N800-51:~# ls -l /dev/mmcblk0p1
ls: /dev/mmcblk0p1: No such file or directory

Where did my SD card go? :-)

Hm.  Maybe the internal one is mounted only on bootup?

> Is there a file that the crawler generates that I can look at?

Do:
   strings /home/user/.meta_storage > meta.txt

and read the meta.txt.  I don't know whether the player uses that
database directly or communicates with the crawler instead though.

I don't have strings. Grrr.

You can copy the whole .meta_storage onto PC and then use strings
there.  Not sure whether Windows has this utility though.

> I'll install fsck on the unit.

You can do fsck the card FAT on the you Linux PC (or on Windows).

Done under XP, no errors.

Ok, I guess the reason for 5 mins is the large number of mp3s.
I hope one doesn't need to wait all 5 mins until any of them
appear in the Media player, because then it's a very bad
performance problem, otherwise it's not so serious.

        - Eero