On 2/6/07, James Sparenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tuesday 06 February 2007 15:28:34 Mike Klein wrote:
> I have been holding off on 3G data plan due to horrific costs and
> questions about availability/robustness.
>
> Cingular's plan is like $80/mo for all you can eat. Given there are
> comments regarding voice calls dropping when data is incoming and vice
> versa...I'll be a late adopter thanks.
>
> In S.F. there are supposedly multiple forms of 3g....but none of them
> work any significant length down 280 freeway...another deal-breaker for me.

I'm in that area use a Nokia 6130, edge service (additional 29.99 a month
t-mobile) it runs about isdn speed.  Now as for going down 280 while surfing.
Haven't tried.  I'm too busy dodging the people who are trying *grin*.

I'm with Cingular in NY and was told when I asked that I did not have
to do or pay anything in order to use the 3G service as it activates
in the metro area.  The real trick for me is finding a phone that
supports the US UMTS frequencies Cingular uses.  I have a few Nokia
N-Series (and an E61) phones, but they all operate on the European
bands.  Otherwise, in theory, my current unlimited EDGE plan would
upgrade as I encountered a higher speed tower - like all over NYC for
example.

I hear you on the drivers... though it's not all just digerati.  I saw
a guy swerving ahead of me getting on the saw mill parkway this
afternoon and when I passed by I saw he had a BOOK open on the
steering wheel and was actively reading!!

--
Jonathan Greene
m 917.560.3000