On Wednesday 21 February 2007 07:48:19 Levi Bard wrote:
> > > And WEP + EAP please?
> >
> > This has been requested occasionally. It would help if you could come
> > up with some kind of examples where this is needed. That they I could
> > show that there's really a need for this. Technically there's no point
> > of supporting 802.1x with WEP encryption, because TKIP is already
> > widely supported.
>
> Many wireless networks in the US, for some reason universities in
> particular, ONLY allow connections using WEP + EAP (usually PEAP in my
> experience).  One example is Texas Tech University (
> http://www.ttu.edu ), which requires all wireless devices to use
> WEP+PEAP, no exceptions.  (Yes I've argued with them about their
> implementation, yes I've requested either WPA or EAPless access for
> devices that don't expect that particular kludge, ...)

A lot of the reason from my experience comes about because WEP+EAP was current
at the time of the equipment purchase and many companies and Universities
won't change until such time as the equipment they have as reach end of life
and they can afford to replace it.

Second reason.  Because many "security" admins are afraid that if they admit
something new is better than what they recommended then they will perceived
as incompetent.   Then again I just spent the day arguing with a
security "expert" who didn't want me to bring my laptop in because it is a
Linux box and their Anti Virus can't scan my system.  (Never mind that it
can't scan any of the other contractors mac or windows boxes either .... )

James

--
  (o_
  //\