Does anybody else find that the Camera application is slow, and
occasionally locks up the unit?

What I see is that for the first several seconds after starting, the
camera app's update rate is fairly fast (though not as fast as the video
call app - about one-half as fast). After a few seconds, then the video
update rates slows down to about an update a second. Then after a few
more seconds it stops, and the unit is pretty much locked up. Sometimes
I can close the camera app, sometimes I have to reboot the unit (by
holding down on the power key for several seconds).