Hi,

I have been working on porting gcompris 8.3.1 to N800, the Nokia Internet
Tablet. Yesterday I released the first version in
http://garage.maemo.org/projects/gcompris. The project is still
work-in-progress.

*TO INSTALL*

Go to http://garage.maemo.org/projects/gcompris, and download the gcompris
core package, data packages 1-3, common sound package and one localized sound
package. Install them on your N800.

*SOURCES*

Sources are available in SVN of garage.maemo.org. Check the project page for
instructions on how to access the SVN tree. I haven't uploaded the sources in
Debian source format, because garage.maemo.org has a 10MB limit on file size.

*WHAT'S NOT WORKING*
- Background music. Disable the music, or it might be that all audio will
stop.
- Python plugin.
- You have to tap twice to start a game.
- I haven't filtered the list of games, so there are still games which require
keyboard.
- gcompris is somewhat slow.

*CHANGELOG*

1. Debian control files. Unfortunately Ubuntu's debian files were not useful,
as Maemo's Debian tools are of older version. I released gcompris as core,
three data packages, common sounds package and localized sound packages.
Autoconf and Makefiles required some removal of OS X stuff. I couldn't get it
to work.

2. Removed chess. Unfortunately gnuchess is not available for maemo, so I
removed the chess game.

3. Removed python plugin. I was not able to get gcompris to start with the
python plugin, so I disabled it.

4. Converted all sound files to mp3, and almost rewrote the sound code. SDL
for Maemo does not support playing of mp3 or ogg files, and the platform in
general does not support ogg files. This is why I converted the audio files
to mp3 and rewrote the audio code to use gstreamer. Unfortunately this work
is still incomplete, and the background music is still causing me gray hair.

*CALL FOR HELP*

If you feel that you could help with any of the deficiencies, please don't
hesitate to give a hand. Send me email, join my project, send patches,
anything. Especially gstreamer and python gurus would be welcome.

Enjoy!

Best regards,
Terje