I encountered the same problem with my Nokia bt keyboard and the N800.
Took something like 20 tries to get past the authentication, but I was
eventually successful.  Note that I only used 4 characters of my own
choosing.  Definitely seemed to be a timing issue.

Randall (Randy) Arnold
Quality Feedback Analyst
Nokia-CMO/Dallas