On Wednesday 18 July 2007 17:41:23 Mike Klein wrote:
> It was mentioned in list just a few days ago I think that next firmware
> would provide for backup/restore functionality of apps.
>
> I also believe apt-updates for all was in future roadmap too.
>

> mike

  Note that the question on apt-get was why it was broken/avoided, not if it
would be included, as to not use it required the greater effort.  On the
other hand, the backup problem has been brought up since at least last
summer...

  I understand Andrei's frustration and could offer him two stop gaps.  1 is
the rsync backup program in the garage, and the other is using dselect with
dpkg and having it "automate" the install of all of your programs.

  Beyond that I've always been curious as to why the default file manager
can't see /usr/home/user, but can see /usr/home/user/Mydocs?

  Part of the problem (I'm peering in, not in the know on this) I can surmise
surrounding the lack of a single 3rd party repository comes with Nokia (the
company not individuals) and their legal Dept still working on getting a
handle on OSS and what people are used to.  I can see where legal may have
problems with liability in relation to what people install, if they perceive
that Nokia endorses it.  (which the company supplied repo would imply)  This
is why RH Mandriva Ubuntu etc require you to submit 3rd party packages in
source form for them to build/vet as well as often requiring some means of
verification as to who you really are.  Nokia  really does need a Dag Wiers
for this I think.

   I too would like some formality around some of this.  Perhaps a consensus
on package categories.  Since clicking all and then scrolling is the only
practical way to find out what is installable it seems that every dev has a
different type of category and a different way of spelling it. ;)  and a
simpler way of retaining the all important /etc/apt/sources.list  (which btw
does get retained on the n800 most of the time.) for the 770

  I'm not pitching this to argue but discuss so please don't take offense to
what I'm pointing out.

James