On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 17:23 +0200, ext Frantisek Dufka wrote:
> Igor Stoppa wrote:
>
> > Bootloader, Kernel and initfs should be packaged, but technically
> > nothing is preventing from reflashing them.
> >

> Except that at least current version of OS keeps initfs mounted and runs
> relatively critical stuff from it. In theory everything should be
> already cached in RAM but still flashing mtd device while jffs2 uses it
> may lead to surprises. Could be solved by copying critical binaries to
> tmpfs early on boot before executing them.
>
> BTW documentation for next version talks about cramfs used for initfs
> http://maemo.org/development/documentation/how-tos/4-x/maemo_architecture.html#Flash
> Is this documentation bug or new feature?

I don't know about that. Initfs should become read-only (and by any
practical mean it already was: there isn't space even for deleting
files!)

>  Perhaps we can fit more stuff
> to cramfs and don't need write access so this is not bad choice
> (provided it can live in NAND and handle bad blocks). But still cramfs
> won't solve issue with flashing live system.

Ideally we would use some "merge" fs, and for that there are several
possible solutions, but I'm not woking on it, so i won't comment further
to avoid mistakes.

In general initfs sucks and has been used for speedups in factory.

However using a file based approach could apply to initfs too (or its
replacement), leaving only the kernel and bootloader to be really
"flashed" without passing through the filesystem.

--
Cheers, Igor

Igor Stoppa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(Nokia Multimedia - CP - OSSO / Helsinki, Finland)