Kemal Hadimli wrote:
> On 10/11/07, Daniel M German <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> ** Soft-power off mode. I have enabled it with a long press of the on-button.
>>    Unfortunately it does not disable the keys. It would be nice if it
>>    did, except for a long-press of the on-botton again.
>
> softpoweroff works better if you assign it to the short press. I use
> it that way and it also locks the keys. I also made it so that the
> long press brings up the power menu.

How do you re-assign the power button settings?

And this reminds me of a feature I found severely lacking recently:

Monday morning I set two alarms on my N800.  First time I've done any
alarms.  So, one goes off .. and then a few minutes later, my N800
freezes (the "nokia white screen of death").  I couldn't get it to
respond to anything, not even the power button.  I don't know if it was
caused by the alarms, or what ... but that's not my point.  In order to
get it to power off, I had to pull the battery.  I don't consider that
to be an acceptable action (for one, I had no idea what kinds of power
spikes it might send into the device as I was wiggling the battery out,
since it's not an easy battery to pull).

When it came back up, it didn't fully reboot.  The alarm function wasn't
in the status bar, and it still wasn't responding to the power button.
So, this time I opened up an xterm, ssh'ed into root, and told it to
reboot.  When it came back from that, all was fine again.

What this leads to is: soft power buttons are nice for some things, but
are absolutely useless in other situations.  Sometimes, you need to
force an action when software and interrupts have been corrupted.

IMO, the N800 _REALLY_ needs:

1) a hardware reset button, probably next to the battery (so, it's
almost as desperate a situation as pulling the battery, but you don't
have to actually pull the battery).  Obviously this can't/wont be done
for the N800, but maybe for the WiMax version, and/or the next
generation IT.

2) a means of actually invoking the unix "reboot" command without having
to break into root.  I can probably make "reboot" be setuid root, and
add it to the status bar graph menu ... but I think that'd be a little
too easy.  Maybe something you can invoke from the control panel
application menu: "hard reboot now".

And, while I'm on the subject of power, I'd also like the battery status
icon to tell me the % of battery charge remaining.  Telling me how many
hours are estimated to be left is kinda nice, but I'd _also_ like to
know what % of charge capacity is left.  The only time it does anything
like that is if it's plugged in, and full, it says "battery is full".