Hi,

ext Krischan Keitsch wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 17. Oktober 2007 schrieb Collin R. Mulliner:
>> OGG is only a nerd feature and also has other problems, so Nokia (and
>> other companies) just don't care. Maybe somebody can make a plugin (also
>> this won't utilize the DSP).
>>
> I don't agree with ogg = nerd feature. Linux as an open and free platform is
> way beyond nerd-state. Ogg is also about openness and freedom. They share the
> same philosophy.
>
> The OS of our internet tablets is based upon Linux, isn't it? So why is there
> no support for ogg?
>
> By the way: every time a new stylish personal media player from china is
> shown
> on engadget you will find more and more players with support for flac and ogg
> vorbis. Hmm, something is changing?

I think whether Nokia is going to support ogg or not is somewhat
besides the point.  What should be supported is:
- Addition of support for new codecs to the system
   (works, but the repository situation could be better)
- All applications immediately able to use the new codecs
- User opening a file (in browser or filemanager) encoded with the new
   codec should automatically open it in the correct player
- Documenting how to achieve this

This way Nokia doesn't need to be a bottleneck in getting new codecs
for the users; community, commercial companies etc could then do it.

        - Eero