> Well, I've just done it. Or I think so. I've got gcc, g++, make,
> dh_builddeb, dh_gencontrol, dh_install, dh_makeshlibs, dh_shlibdeps,
> dpkg-shlibdeps, dpkg-deb, dpkg-buildpackage, dpkg-gencontrol, pkg-config,
> and others... but my problem is that almost all the howtos depend on
> deb-make and dh_make, and I don't have these functions...

Memory in 770 is not the strenght of it. The more you could
unload from it, the better. Command line apps do not take
resources as graphical ones and C files are less consuming
than C++ ...

> I suppose that I'll need to do things in the old-fashioned way (like
> installing packages without apt)...

Apt is fine to get files from repositories.It is debian way.
Would be interesting to port netbsd on 770. It could be smaller
and more prone to under-the-surface digging.

> Given that my PC is Debian, I suppose that it would be easier for me the use
> of Scratchbox, but I still think I could do it only with the little 770...

No diff, if you think in general. The final binary is the same.
You just use an option, that gives you more power and less
headache.

                                    Zoran