Since adding GSM capability would bulk up the basic unit, it seems that
perhaps an external GSM enabler would be a good move. Connect via
Bluetooth. Maybe even make it work as a speaker/mike, so I don't have to
wave the Internet tablet around in the air to use the phone. It might
look like this:
http://www.nokiahowto.com/link?cid=EDITORIAL_217558

There are compromises to be made whether you take the integrated route
(a la iPhone) or the component route (a la Nokia). I have an N800, a
phone, a foldup keyboard and I'm contemplating a tiny GPS receiver, all
communicating via Bluetooth. Each is optimized for its purpose and I
only carry that parts that I want at the moment. The downside is that I
have a lot of parts.

The iPhone owner has a different set of compromises to make; the virtual
keyboard sucks, the GPS-like GSM tower triangulation is interesting but
inaccurate, and as a phone it's not nearly as rugged and pocketable as
my clamshell. And it's a closed system.

I'd be more than happy to see Nokia offer an all-in-one device but I
sure would prefer to continue to be offered the choice.