On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 4:28 AM, Igor Stoppa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 15:45 -0400, ext Ryan Abel wrote:
>
>> Well, there is a template (not exactly the same, but very similar)
>> being used. It looks like:
>
> Ok, I did some sampling of existing bugs but maybe it has been
> introduced recently (?)

It's been in there since 2007 at least, you could probably poke
timeless if you really want an exact date.

>> But I'd rather see the guided submission form get some traction moving
>> forward (somebody else will have to come up with the URL, I'm in
>> retard-mode at the moment and can't find it). Karsten has, apparently,
>> been working on this, hopefully we'll see it implemented soon. ;) It's
>> much more helpful overall than a simple template.
>
> :-/ Maybe I'm just getting old, but i'm not sensitive to the lures of
> forms. Free text mode seems to be the most simple and flexible approach.

I think you're probably misunderstanding the purpose and execution of
the guided form (I _really_ wish I could remember/find the URL).
Basically, it's more or less like the current submission form, except
with lots of helpful annotations beside each field to help people
figure out what sort of information to put in there. The free-form
comment field is still available.

> I don't know if you are based in the US.
> I am not and usually I get very pissed off at web sites where one has to
> introduce some data that makes perfectly sense for US customers and for
> them only.
>
> Because the person designing the form cannot possibly address all the
> cases that useres will want to represent.
>
> So i cherish free form text.
>
> I hope that if the bug submission is going to be transformed into a form
> mode, no field will be mandatory and there will still be the option of
> leaving free form comments.

Well, people with canconfirm and editbugs wont see it, they'll still
see the existing form.

As somebody who triages a lot of bugs, and deals daily with users who
don't understand the current submission form, the guided form would
definitely make my job easier (which also makes things easier for
developers, since I'm a lazy person ;)).