Thanks to all who replied.

Faheem's
/usr/bin/dbus-send --system --type=signal /com/nokia/mce/signal
com.nokia.mce.signal.sig_device_mode_ind string:"[normal|flight]"
works a treat.

Had to live with a bit of a hack to get it to wake up again in the morning
until I can find some documentation for alarmtool (though it seems the alarm's
not that reliable anyway) but my battery was a lot fuller this morning ;-)

In case it's of help to anybody, this is the script that I'm now running. I
start it via SSH from my server at the end of the backup. The downside is that
the SSH session stays up until it restarts, but it's less of an overhead than
staying connected (I've backgrounding the script, but SSH seems determined to
stay.)

# Switch to offline mode
/usr/bin/dbus-send --system --type=signal /com/nokia/mce/signal
com.nokia.mce.signal.sig_device_mode_ind string:"flight"

# wait 8 1/2 hours so the device will reconnect in time for when I'll need it
online again
sleep 30600

# Switch back to online mode and reconnect to the default access point

--
Tony Green
Ipswich, Suffolk, England

** This message is digitally signed. If your email client is unable to read
digital signatures, you may see an attachment that you cannot open. See
http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/faqs.en.html for more information.
You can validate my PGP key from my website: http://www.beermad.org.uk/
* No Micro$oft products were used in the generation of this communication