lakestevensdental wrote:
> Rick Bilonick wrote:
>> I could not agree more! I wouldn't buy a car from a manufacturer that
>> forced me to buy batteries, tires, service, etc. from it.
> Actually, the Apple app store is full of software from a variety of
> sources -- many free, many not.  Like Maemo, it's a central clearing
> house for software that is deemed suitable for the device of interest.
>
> For example, (and one of my peeves about the n800), the App Store has a
> program/service called Epocrates for medical folks to use to check on
> drugs, interactions and more.  There's a free download for the Ipod
> Touch, as well as a paid advanced service/program from the same folks.
> The same software is available for Blackberries and several other
> internet phone devices.   However, there has NOT been a port to the n8x0
> series so far as I can tell.  This software is self-contained so it
> works with and without wifi connection.   You can get a wifi Epocrates
> on the n800 in the browser, but you can't use it off the net as the data
> is not resident on the device -- at least so far as I can determine.
>
> Bottomline, you can yell and scream all you want about open source
> 'free' software.  However, there is something to be said for the
> increased diversity of having both.
>
> Always, Fred C

Hi Fred,

FWIIW, the reason Epocrates isn't available on the N8x0 is because the
*company* <http://www.epocrates.com/index.html> has not ported it to the
N8x0.  Since it is closed source, they are the only ones who can do the
port.  It isn't fair to fault open source 'free' software for things
(ports) proprietary companies refuse to do.

Perhaps Epocrates is not aware of the N8x0 family.  Perhaps they don't
believe there is enough of a market in the N8x0 family to be worth their
effort to port it (they make money by selling a premium version).  Have
you asked them to port their software to the N8x0?

Best regards,
gvb