On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Christoph Eckert <c...@christeck.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> (exactly zero of
>> the available mapping applications are anywhere nearly as
>> user-friendly or stable as my Garmin GPS),
>
> I agree that a dedicated mapping device has its advantages, but also it's
> limitations. My Garmin just retired, as I'm now using the N810. I'm on tour
> via bike most times, so using maps of openstreetmap is a plus. I even derive
> shelters from osm data and display it on top of the map in Maemo Mapper.
> Additionally, there's osm2go so I can edit data "on-site".
>
> I admit that it is a tradeoff, and for average users a Garmin might be a
> better choice than a N810. For me as an osm addict and hacker, the N810 is
> the perfect companion.
>
> Cheers,
>
> ce

If Maemo Mapper would use the *vector* OSM data and do routing on the
device (and were a bit more stable, although it's much better than all
the other alternatives in that respect), it would absolutely be *the*
killer app for the tablets. As is, though, with no offline routing (I
actually can't get the routing to work at all) and having to download
bitmaps for every zoom level you need, it's far less than ideal for
vacationing or on-the-spot navigating and far less efficient with
storage space. It also isn't capable of a 3D view, which is more than
just a gimmick - it lets you see much more of the route ahead for an
equivalent zoom level. The built-in Maps app is much better for
on-the-spot navigating, even without enabling the routing. It's very
stable, efficient and user-friendly, bearing in mind that it's
crippleware and the map data is pretty old. I'm using RoadMap far more
than Maemo Mapper these days, but it's pretty unstable and all too
often fails epically and repeatedly to download specific areas. I
don't know if it's a server problem or the map downloader's fault, but
there are several major gaps in areas where I *really* need the map to
be filled in.

As for Wayfinder's Map app (the one that comes pre-installed on the
tablets), I will never understand marketing strategy such as theirs:
why on earth would *anyone* pay half again the price of a standalone
GPS (that is rock stable, usually multifunction and comes with all the
maps preinstalled - and will never start asking for more money just to
use the device) to unlock a time-limited "subscription" for navigation
in an app that everyone can see beforehand has seriously flawed map
data and almost no options. All of the other mapping apps for the
tablets are *far* more geocaching- and import/export friendly (and
have many more options for map data) than Wayfinder's. If they want
subscriptions for map updates, fine, but I for one have zero interest
in spending that much cash for an app that I *know* is either going to
stop working or require another large cash outlay down the line.

Working with OSM is another subject entirely, and can be done without
any of the navigation-oriented apps. Saving tracks doesn't require
maps, much less navigation, and you don't need any installed apps at
all to download, upload and edit OSM data. Granted, dedicated apps
theoretically can be more efficient, although I have yet to get any of
the desktop apps to work as advertised. So far, they're all incredibly
inefficient, counter-intuitive, and excruciatingly slow to use. JOSM
is a nightmare. Potlatch works well but has some limitations. I
haven't had a chance to try OSM2Go yet, although I have installed it.

Mark