Hello

root user is not the absolute power any more, please dont forget SELINUX and
the MLS "Multi Level Seurity"
you can read more on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selinux

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Mark <wolfm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Farrell J. McGovern
> <farrell.mcgov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ScottW wrote:
> >> The Mac and *nix world needs to stop gloating about their clean record
> so far and keep an eye out for what is to come.  Dues to the learning curve
> of the OS, the users were more "enlightened" than the common computer user,
> but now these are  more wide spread and the common user will be using them.
>  The conspiracy theory people say that Antivirus companies are the ones
> making most of the viruses so that they have a product to sell, well there
> is a market out there just waiting to be tapped.  Norton AV for Mac is on
> the shelves even though there is only really 1 documented virus, and people
> buy it.
> >>
> >> The good ole saying: "The devil's greatest accomplishment was to
> convince everyone he does not exist"... well the Linux virus does not exist.
> >>
> > You are, of course, making the classic mistake of not understanding
> > security on computer operating systems. Popularity has little to do with
> > how vulnerable a system is.
>
> Yeah, tell that to celebrities. I'm sure they just *love* the stalkers
> and paparazzi. When's the last time *you* were surrounded by dozens of
> photographers documenting the worst moments of your life?
>
> Anyway, it's not about "popularity", it's about payoff. Any time
> there's something to gain (Windows boxes), people will keep trying.
> When there's nothing to gain (Linux boxes), there's no motivation.
>
> More attacks=more vulnerability. The law of averages says that the
> more attacks there are, the more likely that sooner or later one will
> be successful.
>
> Someone who has their home Windows machine set to autologin and no
> firewall or antivirus software but uses a gateway, never uses Outlook
> or IE and never opens messages (never mind attachments) from someone
> they don't know is much less vulnerable than someone who has every
> possible security aspect in place on their laptop (any OS) that is
> exposed to open networks and/or leaves their computer unattended for a
> few moments. Everything is relative.
>
> *You* are the one who clearly does not understand computer security.
>

> > Fact: Windows XP is about 12 years old, Vista/Windows 7  maybe 5. Unix
> > is 40+ years old.
> >

> Fact: Windows is 30+ years old, and what you're calling Unix is every
> bit as much a progression/assortment of different OSs/kernels as
> Windows. Your assertion is totally invalid.

> > Windows was designed for a single user, single application  at a time
> > environment, it has  had multi-user and multi-processing added on to it.
> >

> Once again, your assertions are totally incorrect. Unix started with
> single-user mainframes, long before the Internet or any kind of remote
> networking or simultaneous multi-user environment. Even once they went
> mult-user, local multi-user setups with tightly controlled physical
> [...]

______________________________
http://geek2live.blogspot.com/
http://www.siteheed.com
- You pick the level of your suffering yourself - Budha-
- There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man.  The true
nobility is in being superior to your previous self.-- Hindu proverb
- "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power."-Abraham Lincoln
- Live Free or Die-Kernel The Canine-
- Without music, life would be a mistake.- Nietzsche
- He who reigns within himself and rules his passions, desires, and fears is
more than a king.-- John Milton
- The best portion of a good man's life is the little, nameless,unremembered
acts of kindness and love.-- William Wordsworth (1770-1850) English poet --
- The higher type of man clings to virtue, the lower type of man clings to
material comfort.  The higher type of man cherishes justice, the lower type
of man cherishes the hope of favors to  be received.-- Confucius (551-479
BC) Chinese Philosopher