On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Igor Stoppa<igor.sto...@nokia.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 01:38 +0200, ext Mark wrote:
>>  many other devices these days
>> are putting the microSD slot under the battery. Grrr...
>
> for the very same reason why the SIM is located there in the vast
> majority (all?) of phones: to prevent hot swap and simplify its
> management.
>
> If you were to connect the battery somehow (wires?) so that the SIM
> could be swapped with the phone on, interesting things would happen.
>
> It also means that the products can be cheaper since there is no need
> for the extra sensor to detect the swap.
>
> Cheers, Igor

Preventing SIM hot-swap is reasonable: how many people actually have a
need to *ever* swap their SIM. The only time I've ever removed the SIM
from my phone is when I've got a new phone and transferred the SIM.
There's also a significant security aspect to SIM cards. But generic
memory cards are an entirely different matter, especially with devices
that can take and view photos and other media.

Mark