There's a lot of talk that Nokia should release a Maemo netbook.  Is there a
working port of Maemo to Intel-based chips?  I only know of the ARM version
for the tablets.

This was partially mentioned above, but I don't think enough weight has been
given to the fact that Nokia has just within the past three months announced
major partnerships with both Intel and Microsoft.  I don't see it as
surprising that a corporate-focused booklet would choose this platform.

And remember, the N900 is coming out.  The OS/2 comparison is interesting,
and it may well be that Maemo stays firmly in the "hobbyist" arena.  But i
think we will see Maemo take a bigger role as the laptop and phone continue
to merge into a new hybrid device (of which netbooks and internet tablets
are early forays into this class of device.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Gary <g...@eyetraxx.net> wrote:

> Antonio Di Cello wrote:
> > For italian maemo/nokia user I post on my blog the news ad the
> specifications of new booklet3G
>
> The Guardian has more speculation on the hardware specs.
>
> http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gmg/op/sXsDARYcytKh_ev4Q2pP53Q/view.m?id=158147&tid=120787
>
> My guess is that they're trying to get some attention before Apple
> releases their touch screen tablet. I have used WIndows 7 extensively on
> a seven year old notebook which is about on par with most current net
> books (aside from the larger screen). It is much more usable than Vista
> was on the same system but I still prefer to boot in to U-lite -- a
> custom Ubuntu distribution that runs better on less powerful hardware
> than any of the official Ubuntu spin-offs. Aside from that, there are
> plenty of other distributions that Nokia could have chosen as there have
> been several window manager and desktop projects over the years that
> sufficiently emulate the Windows look and feel to ease users in to the
> UI. The OS/2 vs Windows comparison is an interesting one. Maybe Nokia
> will hire David Cutler to help finish freemantle. ;)
>
> -Gary

In Vino Veritas
http://rubbernecking.info