On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 09:44:39AM +0100, Buchan Milne wrote:
On Saturday, 9 October 2010 10:10:36 Renaud MICHEL wrote:
On samedi 09 octobre 2010 at 05:45, andré wrote :
> Note that configuration files that have been changed from the
> installation default are often already saved.  (Generally ".old" is
> appended to the configuration file name, sometimes ".new" to the new
> configuration file.)

But here you are only talking about system-wide configuration files, which
are known of rpm as they are part of the package and marked as config
files. But what about user specific configuration files?
For the easy kind, where a program will have a single configuration file
(or dedicated directory), a pre-inst script could find it in the home of
each users and backup them. But you have cases of programs which have
configuration scattered in multiple shared directories (like KDE), or even
non-deterministic configuration files and it can become very tricky to find
all the files to backup.

A snapshot-based solution (e.g. on btrfs) would mean you don't have to "find all the files".

uhm. we are speaking about user files, what if reverting a snapshot
makes users loose a whole day of work.

L.

--
Luca Berra -- bl...@vodka.it