Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
My main points in this - seen from the user's side:

1. If an automatic mirrorlist is used by urpmi there must be the
ability to jump to the next mirror if the first one is not available
or outdated. This was already requested some time ago in Mandriva and
Mageia should not start a mirrorlist system without this feature.
Agree totally.
My closest mirror is often not up to date (by a day or 2), and is down for a few hours every night. (It is hosted at a small university.) So often for updates, I get an error message about being unable to download. I have to wait a day or 2, or update manually from another mirror.

2. Whatever system is used, the user must have the option to select a
mirror if he wants to (like in SmartUrpmi). In short: there must be
the easy option to override the automatic system, like it is now with
Mandriva. Example: if the next mirror (selected by the mirrorlist
system) is too slow for the user's needs.
Exactly. The closest mirror is also relatively slow, and only allows a single connection. The 2nd and 3rd closest mirrors belong to a large network of mirrors, with very fast download, multiple connexions, and transparently selects the particular mirror site.
But currently, with Mandriva, I can't select it as my default.

With Sourceforge, for example, every time I download I can select an alternate default mirror if I want to. Which remains the default the next time I download. That would be ideal.
wobo

- André