nicolas vigier wrote:
On Fri, 25 Mar 2011, Tux99 wrote:

Quote: nicolas vigier wrote on Fri, 25 March 2011 12:08

Because we want to be sure that nothing is built on this library.
So you are arbitrarily making life harder to people like Xavier and
myself.

And you want to arbitrarily make life a lot harder to people who want
to make sure the distribution is not based on obsolete and unmaintained
software.

On the other hand, rebuilding a qt3 package yourself takes a few
minutes.
[...]
You're building other software, but you can't rebuild a qt3 package
yourself ?

Sorry but I can't agree here: when I build a software, I like to build _just_ the software, not the whole system around! (I would use a Gentoo otherwise). I loved Mandriva because of this point: it was at the same time simple to use AND full of resource to build and customize specialized applications.

If you are on this way, you can also remove QCad*: yes it is old, unmaintained and based on QT3 - but still the best free 2D drawing software on Linux ...

As a user, I still use applications which needs qt3 and with no equivalent based on QT4 ; so I would like qt3-devel to be included in Mageia

I can't see the point in not including packages just because they are unmaintained. They are still used and useful + you have people who want to package them, so ?

Thanks for reading me,
Xavier

* maybe it is already removed from Mageia, I didn't checked. But I think I can find a lot of other example of obsolete & unmaintained software but still useful which were in Mandriva (eg xmms).