Hi, I don't have a problem or issue using Skype, this was a reply to someone
who was asking what version Skype would work. As I said if a later version is
used which happens to be a beta problems may occur when trying to configure the
sound and audio devices - bearing in mind Skype is a closed source code and I
doubt if it's possible to change things within Skype! I'm sure that that there
are lots of different versions of Skype which might work and ways to use Skype
with other audio apps running in parallel. The particular method I use allows
me to listen to the BBC iplayer via my Laptops internal speakers as well as
using Skype to make calls via the Philips USB phone.  I have used Skype for
over 5 years on a daily basis running both under Windows (various versions) and
Mandriva Linux, and the version I stated works well on my system using various
USB devices which can be configured via Kmix, the newer beta  version appears
to have issues in selecting audio devices, I would suggest that you download
both versions (old and the new beta) and try them out.

Regards

Brian Bailey aka (brianb)