Am 03.09.2011 09:22, schrieb Maarten Vanraes:
Op zaterdag 03 september 2011 01:50:08 schreef Florian Hubold:
Am 02.09.2011 20:15, schrieb Maarten Vanraes:
Op vrijdag 02 september 2011 16:50:00 schreef Thierry Vignaud:
On 2 September 2011 14:06, Michael Scherer<m...@zarb.org>   wrote:
It would help would be by having smaller hdlists, but I am not sure it
would really help mirror so much. ( ie, I would not say "lots of space"
even if that still a saving )
Actualy hdlist are pretty much unused these days.
urpmi (and thus the installer) doesn't use them any longer for quite a
few years already (at least since 2007 or 2008).

At that time, we only kept those big babies for:

- users adding media from older distro for live upgrading but:
    1) all mdv distros since 4 years handle that
    2) we don't support upgrading from anything<2010

- some test tools (don't remember which one) that nobody use still parse
them

That's why network BW usage by urpmi is small for checking media
(checking if MD5SUM still matches then download small synthesis if
needed) That doesn't change the amount of RAM and the CPU time needed
to parse&   compute updates but thats' another story...

We could try to disable hdlists from cauldron mirrors and see who's
crying (I guess nobody will)
isn't hdlists still necessary for urpmf and urmq ? (I don't know, i'm
just asking)
Well, then they obviously wouldn't work anymore, since by default only
synthesis are used :)
so even the synthesis files are too big? i mean, if you're in rpmdrake, and you
click on a package, it seems to fetch more details. is that from synthesis
files? because it takes quite some time to fetch it...

Not too big, but it also takes a while to download/process these.
Just take a look at the /media_info directory in any repository.
Besides the synthesis.hdlist there are additional files with the metainfo
about files, changelog, and info.