Balcaen John a écrit :
Le lundi 17 octobre 2011 16:39:14 nicolas vigier a écrit :
[...]
I think that :
  - changing the default configuration in an update is wrong. If it's
    better that msec do not send emails by default, I think this change
    should be done in cauldron only, maybe with some note about this change
    in the release notes for Mageia 2.
Agree.

A question : wouldn't changing the default in _both_ cauldron and an update to mga1 be acceptable ? Since I really think that sending messages silently to dead.letter, gradually filling up the disk is a bug. (When I first discovered the problem on my system a few years ago, dead.letter used about 1G of disk space.)
That is what happens with the default setting, if an MTA is not installed.
At the default settings with an MTA installed, the root mailbox gradually fills up the disk, if it is not emptied. And a less informed user is unlikely to realise this.

So it seems to me that as a minimum, the default should be changed to _not_ send alert emails. Since the status is visible on the main msec screen, informed users should have no problem appropriately adjusting the setting.

To deal with the potential problem of users who use the email alert feature having it deactivated by the update, we only need a warning in the update, as often occurs for other packages. Something like "If you use the msec alert emails, please verify that the alerts are still active." Note that if the user has ever explicitly set alerts, they would be still active. This potential problem would exist even if the next update for the user is mga2. However, if the update is on mga2 (from changes in cauldron), wouldn't the change in defaults be less visible ?

  - adding a require or suggest on dma is wrong, especially in an update
Installing dma with the update will silently replace /usr/sbin/sendmail
to use dma instead of the previously installed mta, potentially breaking
email for all programs using the sendmail command.
Hum, if i'm not wrong dma has the lower priority  (5) in the alternatives for
sendmail-command so it should not replace the default mta :
postfix has 30 , sendmail has 10.

According to documentation, dma is only active if no other MTA is installed.
(I don't know if the priority is what causes this.)
So at worst dma would be a (very small) harmless extra install, at best it would ensure the ability for local delivery.
[...]
Regards,

Regards :)

--