Johnny A. Solbu a écrit :
On Tuesday 01 November 2011 13:24, Michael Scherer wrote:
I suggest to re-read the other mails of the thread, especially the one
where I give this url :
http://www.spinics.net/lists/fedora-devel/msg158642.html
I have read the entire thread on the Fedora list, every message, including that
specific message, and I have done the same for this thread here and my question
is not answered.

So I'll ask again: what substantial benefit do I get by having / and usr on the
same filesystem / partition?
I can agree to some extend on moving /*bin and co. to /usr, But what is the
benefit on requireing /usr NOT to be a separate filesystem?

Judging by this thread and the Fedora thread I am not alone on having seriosus
doubts on this issiue.

( PS: please try to not insult others with saying thing like "most
stupid thing ever performed" ).
I'm sorry if someone feel trampled upon, but when I see something which I
really do think is stupid and idiotic, I reserve the right to say so. If
someone can't handle that, tough luck!

Note: I am not, nor have I called anyone stupid or an idiot. I am calling this
filesystem requirement change stupid and idiotic. There's a difference. :-)=

No offense intended, but you don't see a slight advantage of not having to mount a separate partition, and of sharing the space available on the otherwise 2 separate partitions, particularly if the disk space is somewhat limited ?

Since you have read the reference, you didn't notice that the option of separate partitions is _not_ precluded ? From what I understand, having separate partitions wouldn't be essentially (if at all) any more complicated than it is already.

Historically, I would imagine that having separate /usr (and other) partitions was probably more driven by limitations of disk space and performance problems than anything else. (/home being an exception.)

However if one has / and /usr on the same partition, combining /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin would certainly be a lot simpler than it is now.

I never could understand why the complication of separate /bin and /sbin, and never appreciated the gymnastics of different commands with the same name to handle root/non-root permissions for certain commands.

To me, avoiding unnecessary complication by design is a big plus.

Regards :-)

--
André