Hi guys,
I still have a computer on mandriva cooker, and they did the split of texlive in many packages (a long standing discussion on cooker as far as remember due to the size of texlive).

Now, I don't know if someone there is actually using "texlive", but the resulting monster is completely unusable. Like, if you want to process a document, you have to resort to ten of urpmf to find the required files in independent packages that have names not really related to their content (and there are literally hundred of them!!). Which means no chance for normal people to use latex anymore :-/

So, from userland, please let's not do that. I am happy to give my user's experience if someone would like to split texlive of course!

cheers,
Chris.