On 01/27/2012 09:45 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
Well it's complicated. The different DE's do things differently. AFAIK, GNOME has used udev for a long time, and I had it in my head that KDE did also, but they are totally separate implementations. But I do see here, that my USB stick is not showing up in GNOME now. I'll try later in KDE and try and pinpoint where the weak link is. The urpmi stuff does still use HAL and should really be ported as HAL shouldn't be used now (I've got it disabled on all my mga1 machines anyway as I don't use urpmi+CD/DVD media). Col

Just for the record, this doesn't involve urpmi. This is just things like brasero and wine apps not being able to "see" loaded media that aren't mounted.

KDE detects that it's there, and reads the volume label to display in the Devices popup, but doesn't mount it, probably because k3b doesn't use mounted media anyway (the first thing it does is umount the disk). Things like VLC, "Play disk" which take the /dev/srX device address work as well.

Sounds like several things are still relying on what hal does. Is there some intentional reason why volumes are no longer automounted ?