Le 2012-02-04 13:27, Maurice Batey a écrit :
On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 06:04:10 -0500, Michel Catudal wrote:

The bootloader installation should be entirely separate from the operating
system.
   Michel, I think to avoid confusion, programs such as XOSL
(e.g. Extipl, GAG, SBM) are usually referred to as 'boot managers' (and
usually reside in the MBR) , whereas the system-specific functions such
as LILO and GRUB are referred to as 'boot loaders', and reside in the
superblock of the /boot partion of whichever system they belong to.
   The boot managers then facilitate the selection of whichever system,
is to be booted by linking to that system's bootloader on its partition.

The diffference between the two is not always that clear. grub can also be seen
as a boot manager.

Actually I have xosl residing on a small primary partition about 16k, smallest
possible on a 2TB hard disk.
I found this to be perfect in the days of the OS/2 boot manager so I am keeping
the same approach with a newer bootloader.
I would use the OS/2 bootloader but it doesn't support newer hard disks.

The idea is that if the MBR is damaged by a linux distribution or OS/2.  I just
boot on a floppy and restore the MBR.
Nothing special is needed for the MBR, I just have to set the bootloader
partition as active.

Michel

--
For OS/2 and Linux Software visit