Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr@...> writes: > I saw at > http://svn.mandriva.com/viewvc/packages/cooker/man/current/SPECS/man.spec?r1=666363&r2=791691 > that Mdv did switch from the old flat text based man pages to the > berkley db based man-db. > According to http://nongnu.org/man-db/ several larger distros did switch > some time ago as well. > So what do you think, should we follow them as well? I have yet to > really look into it, but I wanted to ask for opinions first, so I won't > be spending my time on nothing.
Yes, there are a few packages where other distros have switched to different upstreams and we have fallen behind. This is one of them that I had noticed, and I do think we should follow suit. Another is procps, and I already asked about this on this list and people were in favor of switching to the new upstream, I just haven't gotten around to working on it yet. Another one I discovered is utempter. Fedora and some others have switched to a new upstream (who calls it libutempter, but the Fedora package name is still utempter). I think Mandriva may have switched to a different upstream of libjpeg as well.
