On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, Colin Guthrie wrote:

'Twas brillig, and Pascal Terjan at 09/08/12 20:04 did gyre and gimble:
Yes because it totally makes sense to have a command to halt the
operating system but leave the machine using some power for nothing
(and preventing you from powering it on with wol). I am sure someone
believes it can be useful in some strange scenario.

It's very useful and it was essential for me during the previous release
to debug shutdown logic.

The shutdown command has always been used for this. Apparently you need to pass -H to it now, though. To power off aka 'halt' a machine, shutdown -h was used and this still works according to the manpage.

Please read the halt manpage (and others):

"These are legacy commands available for compatibility only."

So you arguing its behavior is now "fixed" because it was "broken" does not make sense.

    Christiaan