Olav Vitters a écrit :
fyi
Sujet: fallback mode
De: Matthias Clasen <matthias.cla...@gmail.com>
Date: 2012-11-05 10:42
Pour: distributor-l...@gnome.org
Copie: GNOME release team <release-t...@gnome.org>

I'm writing to inform you that the release team discussed
https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointSeven/Features/DropOrFixFallbackMode
yesterday. We've come to the conclusion that we can't maintain
fallback mode in reasonable quality, and are better off dropping it.

Really short-sighted, if the display performance problems aren't solved.
The processor-intensive extras are really just eye candy, and should be optional, depending on the resources available. Instead of forcing software emulation of hardware acceleration of display in order to use regular (non-fallback) mode, it should instead use hardware acceleration if available only where it could produce significant performance gains. And certainly not for display in a virtual console, which becomes extremely slow.

The reorganization of the default screen layout can be largely reverted if desired by ajusting the configuration and/or using already available extensions, so that isn't a problem. Although the configuration programs don't yet work coherently, and some aspects don't work at all (at least in fallback mode which I'm forced to use.)

The tablet-style gtk+ themes currently available are anything but user-friendly for those who want a readable compact space-efficient display on normal sized displays. But that is bound to improve, as more gtk+2 themes are ported to gtk+3. (But the light-switch-type icons in place of check boxes is weird and easily misunderstood.) As one gnome developer said recently in his blog, the gnome interface design team are seriously out of touch with those who work on their computer.

--
André