Hello,
On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 01:47:09AM +0100, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
> On Sunday 04 November 2012 16:52, PhilippeDidier wrote:
> > There's a little problem with ruby updates in Cauldron : as shikamaru is
> > always the official maintainer
>
> What's happenig with Shikamarus packages? Isn't (s)he gone so long that they
> are unmaintained and should be marked as such?
You’re probably right, I was (and still am) very busy so at one point I
just couldn’t cope with maintaining my own packages. However, since I
wrote the ruby policy not only for myself, any point of view about how I
set up the ruby stack would be really appreciated. It seems from what I
read that for the most part making a strong focus on tests resulted in
some pain to maintain those packages, because of the circular
dependencies that were introduced, meaning the whole migration to
ruby-1.9.3 required to bootstrap everything again. I remember jq had a
script to determine in which order build which perl package, but I can’t
remember where it is. That might help. Avoid having packages requiring
each other would probably help, but for me it helped me a lot at the
start because sometimes some gem were just broken, or assumed that some
package was there when it wasn’t. I also thought it would save some
time.

As for my absence, first I apologize for letting you manage this
without helping you the slightest, and not even drop a mail there saying
what’s going on. I cannot decently maintain every package I imported
when the project started, so if you’d like to take over the maintainance
of some packages, go ahead.
> ==
> $ mgarepo maintdb get |grep shikamaru|wc -l
> 278
> ==
>
> > in cauldron repository we have coexisting ruby-*-doc packages
>
> Just before I qualified as packager (in may I think) and got submit access, I
> was helping Shlomi upgrade the packages belonging to shikamaru. Abong them
> was many ruby packages.
> After upgrading several ruby packages, we started having differences in build
> success on the packages. I.e. They buildt on my cauldron but not in Shlomif's
> system. It turned out that if one specific ruby package was installed, ALL
> ruby packages failed to build, because the documentation did not build and
> some of the items in %files was missing.
I admit I wasn’t aware of this. At the time I worked on it I had a local
iurt building packages, so no external package was particularly causing
problems. Didn’t know about BuildConflict either.
> (I hope Shlomi still remember which ruby package needs to be listed as
> BuildConflict. Maybe it's listed in some of the ruby packages he made after
> discovering this.)
>
> Untill we figured out something was wrong, I upgraded and checked in several
> packages, between 10 and 20 packages, where the documentation package was
> Removed from the spec, because bm/rpmbuild complained on missing files and I
> thought it was removed in the new version. But when Shlomi build it, he added
> the missing files, and I don't know if he readded the doc packages or just
> added the installed-but-not-packages files in the %files section.
>
> When we figured out that it was due to the BuildConflict, we decided that he
> should do the ruby packges himself.
Not sure I get you there, “he” stands for me right ?

> --
> Johnny A. Solbu
> PGP key ID: 0xFA687324

Regards,