Olivier Thauvin skrev 7.1.2013 15:41:
* Pascal Terjan (pter...@gmail.com) wrote:
On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Olivier Thauvin
<nanar...@nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:
Hello again,

I just buy a wonderfull HP ENVY23 smartscreen.

It has:
- Windows 8 (I'd like to keep it)
- GPT Formated disk (2T)
- UEFI
- SecureBoot

I am trying to install a Mageia on it:
I disabled secure boot.
I succeed to boot using PXE (using legacy boot) and to install mageia2,
but it failed to boot on Mageia using legacy boot.

Do you know how it fails?

The "Bios" claim the disk is not bootable and it switch to the next
device (network card or UEFI/windows 8).

That's because the bootloader installed is not an efi one,
so it will be ignored.

So questions:
- is it possible to boot Mageia using legacy boot on GPT disk ?

Yes (using grub, not lilo)

It's the case, but it's not working.

The gpt part works, the (u)efi part needs a (u)efi capable bootloader
installed in ESP partition on the disk (usually mounted as /boot/efi)

On a Windows7 system I used the fedora grub-efi package following this:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/grub_legacy.html

I havent tested if grub2 is capable of booting it...

I did try in rescue mode to reinstall grub but it failed with "hd0 not
found".

- is it possible to boot Mageia using UEFI ?

I think so but I have never tried. I remember someone reporting success.

I'll seek archives then.

I have a Win8 system here too wich I have plans to try and get
all isos to boot in efi mode on and install properly on but
haven't had time to do much of it yet.

--
Thomas