On 09/01/13 16:24, Maurice Batey wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 13:21:06 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:

If you are lucky you will have *.old initrds so just edit your grub prompt
to use initrd.img.old rather than initrd.img (via text mode in grub)

   Where are such initrd.img.old files found?

We all assume that, with a boot cd, live dvd, you can mount your root partition /somewhere

ls -trl /somewhere/boot/

and try to find a initrd-x.x.x which has been generated before the bug. In my case, I got:

initrd-3.6.5-tmb-desktop-3.mga3.img

and I have also the kernel

vmlinuz-3.6.5-tmb-desktop-3.mga3

(thanks to master tmb)

Now add a new entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst referring to compatible versions of initrd (not corrupted) and vmlinuz (be inspired by the ones already written in this file)

Reboot et select these ones.