Hi all-
So first I wanted to announce a Ruby gem I created called magickly, which
essentially offers Imagemagick as a web service.  Please take a look - would
love any feedback:

https://github.com/afeld/magickly

As part of that plugin I include some pre-defined
effects<https://github.com/afeld/magickly/blob/master/lib/shortcuts.rb>,
i.e. tilt-shifting.  I pretty closely mimicked the tilt-shift
tutorial<http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/photos/#tilt_shift>on the
Imagemagick site, essentially running the following command:

convert source.png \\( +clone -sparse-color Barycentric '0,0 black
0,%[fx:h-1] white' -function polynomial 2,-2,0.5 \\) \

-compose Blur -set option:compose:args 15 -composite output.png

The result image looks good, but the app is serving photos on demand and it
takes forever (upwards of 30 seconds for a 640x480 on my Mac).  Turnaround
time is more important than image quality here, so I was wondering if anyone
had any ideas for how to speed this up?  Here are a few ideas I had - no
idea if they would make a difference:

   - linear gradients, as mentioned in the tutorial
   - storing the gradient map
   - using variable blur
mapping<http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/mapping/#blur> by
   creating two gradient:black-white squares to get something parametric-ish

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
-Aidan