Hi,

Does the JPG includes exif orientation tag?
See
    http://www.media.mit.edu/pia/Research/deepview/exif.html
    "The orientation of the camera relative to the scene, when the image was
captured. The start point of stored data is, '1' means upper left, '3' lower
right, '6' upper right, '8' lower left, '9' undefined."
See results of
    identify -verbose test.jpg

If so, your viewer automatically fix orientation of photos.

--
Atsushi Kato
 <xxatsush...@yahoo.co.jp>