Richard - the views picker widget is just a wish item at this stage and
no development has been started. Hopefully one day, I might create a
wishlist bug for this so we have it on track etc :)

For now though, I have gone with what you suggested by adding an extra
sentence to the notification that states:

"Collection has been updated to include access from new view." (or views
if multiple were added).

This doesn't say what access was added but at least offers the user some
more information that access changes are occurring.

Have committed this patch seeing as it is trivial.

Stacey

** Changed in: mahara

--
Collection: view access updating at problematic time

Status in Mahara ePortfolio: Fix Committed

Bug description:
When a user creates a new collection and they get to the views stage access for
each views access is updated immediately as it is added.

This means that if a user decides that they don't want the collection anymore
and cancel then the view access is already updated and they have lost original
settings on views.

The user might also just add a view and then immediately decide that wasn't the
right decision and remove from the list.

This is an issue for both new and existing collections.

The help file does mention this is going to happen, but I'm thinking it is not
the most appropriate event for access updating to occur on anyway.

Solutions might be to:

For new collections:
a) update access only on the final stage when user saves collection completely
b) alert user somehow that views are going to have their access updated when
they navigate past the views page

For existing collections:
a) only update when the user is completely finished with the page (clicking
'Done') and ensure it is clear that the access will be updated at this time

Any other ideas?