I can't remember exactly.  One reason is probably that it wasn't
straightforward and I was lazy.

But I think another reason is that the view is not the whole page for
the dashboard & group homepage; it's only used for part of the page.  To
fit in with the normal site navigation, those pages really need to use
the full header rather than the small header, and when you're using the
full header, going from one page to another with a different theme can
give you a bit of a nasty surprise, especially when the menu switches
from the right to the left for example.

You can always test this effect out by turning off small headers in site
options, and then navigating to a view that has a different theme from
the site.

It would be nice if we could leave the header always showing one theme,
and only change the view's theme for the view's portion of the page, but
because of the way css works, that would have been a lot of work.

--
grouphomepage and dashboard  views don't use themes, but can be set

Status in Mahara ePortfolio: Fix Committed

Bug description:
When editing a grouphomepage or a dashboard view type, you can set the theme
for the view, but when viewing the group/homepage, the theme isn't used.

Options are:
a) Don't allow them to choose the theme; or
b) Have the relevant pages respect themes.

Option a is obviously pretty easy by modifying view/blocks.php to only assign
viewthemes if the view isn't in array('grouphomepage', 'dashboard'),
Option b may be preferable long term.