Realised how this is happening, it is still a bug but slightly different
to what I initially thought. It is to do with a view having previously
belonged to a collection and then being removed.

I created 2 more pages and a second collection.
Then I added both the pages to the second collection.
On the 'Share' tab I now had:
     [edit access] page one
                          collection one
     [edit access] collection two

Then I removed a page from the second collection (so it was independent again).
On the 'Share' tab I now have:
     [edit access button] page one
                                     collection one
     [edit access button] page I just removed from collection two
                                    collection two

And if I select to edit the access of the page that I removed from
collection two then I have both that page and collection two selected on
the next page.

Pinned it down to the new accessconf value in the view table, introduced
in version 2010122201, as it is still the same as the view remains in
the collection. So this needs to be unset somewhere.

I personally still don't like the double up of page/collection selection
between Share and Access pages.

  collection and view access/share 1.4

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  New

Bug description:
  Re: http://wiki.mahara.org/Roadmap/3_Views - 3.3 Improvements to
  Access Control as it currently is in 1.4dev.

  With the new UI if I have a single independent page and a collection
  containing other pages I found the following:

  - I went to the 'Share' tab and there was only an edit access icon
  next to the single page not the collection.

  I would expect that I could edit the access for collections as well as
  individual pages?

  - when I clicked to edit the single page I was taken to the access
  page as expected, but in here there are two checkboxes at the top of
  the page: one for the collection and one for the page I was expecting.
  Both selected by default.  Unfortunately I only saw these too late and
  ended up changing the access for everything - collection and single
  page.

  I only wanted to change the access for my single page (partially LIES!
  this was actually the only thing I was given the option to edit on the

  This appears to be a change in aid of bulk access editing, though
  there is still no mention of this on the page and I only wanted update
  the access for a single page.

  Having these checkboxes here and selected by default means that I
  either need to make my selection twice with the second "selection"
  being a matter of "de-selection" or once (if we eliminated the
  original screen) and then only by a process of "de-selection".

  Selection of pages/collections to be updated should IMO only happen on
  one page - so we should either eliminate the first screen or remove
  the boxes from the second.

  To remedy this mess I had to select to change access for my single
  page again, deselect the page that I have just selected to change
  access for, so that only the collection is checked, and then update
  back to what I wanted. Wash, rinse, repeat if there had been any other
  collections/pages (which would have been painful!). Though admittedly
  I might have noticed as the checkbox list would have been larger and
  more obvious.

  I would personally prefer to be able to choose the item(s) I wish to
  update and then be taken to a page knowing that it is just for my
  selected items. A la the old access UI but with the addition of being
  able to select bulk lots somehow.

  At the very least collections definitely should be showing an Edit
  Access button of their own on the first screen.

  Don't want this current setup to slip through to release in April and
  cause problems with existing accesses ...