** Changed in: mahara
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Hugh Davenport (hugh-catalyst)

** Changed in: mahara

  Increase length of username column to 255 to support shibboleth/SSO
  userIDs

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  get_new_username in lib/user.php truncates username to 30 characters
  by default. In some cases this is too short.

  As an example I have modified the SimpleSAMLPhP authenticator to use
  the Internet2 Shibboleth SAML service provider (SP). In cases where
  the eduPersonPrincipleName attribute (which look like
  usern...@domain.com) is not provider to the SP, the SP can either use
  the SAML1 eduPersonTargetedID attribute (which looks like
  e54710df7638d...@domain.com) or the serialized SAML2 NameID (which
  looks like "!IdP-entityID!SP-entityID!lq7q48crsqzyqehetxahzcgi/bc="
  and the entityIDs have the form of a URL) as usernames.

  30 characters is far to small to handle this and more over the
  varchar(100) username field in the various  tables like 'usr' will
  impact on this issue aswell.

  My guess is that you should be looking atleast 256 or 512 characters
  for this.

  PS. This is an issue for both SSP and Shibboleth.

  This bug was imported from eduforge.org, see:

https://eduforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3424&group_id=176&atid=739