Watermarks, like DRM, are all about restricting sharing of content.

Users are already able to prevent their views from being copied, specify
(or not) any of the CC licenses, and prevent their views from being
accessible to others. I don't think we need to add watermarks into the
mix.

** Changed in: mahara

  Watermarks over images

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  blocking access to image details and download
  originally on mahara.org
  http://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=2600#post11433

  I think there should be an option to add a watermark to an image before it is
displayed to someone.
  Creative commons is all good, but the image can still be copied.
  Maybe also have a link to request the owner to release the full
un-watermarked image to a specific person.