This seems like a common need. Has any other PHP-based open-source forum
software out there implemented this already?

  Allow users to send emails to discussion forums

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  The discussion thread for this feature wish is at
  http://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=3484

  Here are the initial two postings:
  Hello,

  Is it possible for a forum to also act as a mailinglist? Meaning that
  the user can participate in a forum through their email client as well
  as on the Mahara site itself (similar to Google or Yahoo Groups).  I
  know that my participation is likely to be higher if a reply doesn't
  reqiure logging into Maraha each time there is a new post to a forum.

  Thanks,

  Mike

  =========

  I have the exact same question. However I don't think currently that
  is possible, but would be a great feature for a future Mahara version.

  As administrator I receive several replies to the forum messages as
  direct email messages instead as forum messages, despite the "Please
  do not reply to this message" warning at the bottom of each forum
  messge, that seems nobody reads.

  I agree that users participation may be increased with the mailinglist
  <--> forum feature.

  Regards, Roberto.