I just took a look at this with Robert L, using his computer to access
my Mahara instance. Doing so, he was able to replicate the issue,
although he still couldn't replicate it with the instance running on his
computer.

So it would appear that this doesn't affect all installations. There was
nothing in my /local directory or any strange settings in my config.php
that would suggest that they would affect this. Perhaps it's because I
run my dev Mahara out of a subdirectory instead of a domain root:
http://mydomain.com/mahara/htdocs/

  JS to enable the "Automatically retract" checkbox is no longer working
  on blocks with TinyMCE

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  To replicate:

  1. Add a Text Box block to a page
  2. Notice that by default, the "Retractable" and "Automatically retract"
checkboxes are both unticked, and the "Automatically rectract" checkbox is
disabled (grayed out)
  3. Tick the "Retractable" checkbox
  Expected result: The "Automatically retract" checkbox should become enabled
  Actual result: The "Automatically retract" checkbox remains disabled.

  It's also broken in the reverse direction:

  1. Add a Text Box block to a page
  2. Tick the "Retractable" checkbox for that block and save it.
  3. Now edit the block again
  4. Notice that the "Automatically retract" checkbox is enabled.
  5. Untick the "Retractable" checkbox
  Expected result: The "Automatically retract" checkbox should become disabled
  Actual result: The "Automatically rectract" checkbox remains enabled

  This problem was observed in master (1.8dev). It is not present in
  1.7_STABLE.